[Rd] Help file doesn't display correctly

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 6 18:01:45 CEST 2009

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Ronggui Huang wrote:

> 2009/10/6 Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>:
>> On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Ronggui Huang wrote:
>>> Dear R Developer,
>>> It seems to be a problem with help file. Not sure if it is related to
>>> the new format of Rd parser. Multiple lines are joined together
>>> without proper line break.
>> It was a problem with the handling of fancy quotes in a DBCS encoding (as
>> used for CJK languages).  We don't attempt to use them for sQuote(), and
>> will no longer attempt to use them for help.  This will take effect in
>> r49952 and later, and seems to work for me in CP936.
>> It is not easy for us to test in Chinese Windows (most non-Chinese editions
>> do not support it, or need add-ons installed), so please keep on reporting
>> issues, particularly those with help (text, HTML, PDF?) rendering.
> As for the HTML help, it works if I launch it by help.start(), but the
> link becomes broken if I launch it by click  menu "help- html help".

That is the expected behaviour, since it uses static HTML help and no
prebuilt package HTML pages are being shipped.  I don't know if Duncan
wants to change it to call an R function, but that would have the
disadvantage of being unavailable when R is running (you will note
that that menu item is not greyed out when Rgui is running
computations, unlike most others).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk