[Rd] R 2.9.2 crashes when sorting latin1-encoded strings

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 5 16:16:09 CEST 2009

This was a missing PROTECT() in do_order.

But I'll echo what Simon Urbanek said: don't do that but rather use
the documented ways to re-encode the file as you read it.  (Latin-1
used to be needed for collation on Mac OS X as C-level collation in
UTF-8 was completely broken -- but we have worked around that.)

We provided fileEncoding= in read.table for those who failed to RTFM
and thought encoding= was to set the file encoding, but it seems that
encodings are simply too hard a concept for some R users.