[Rd] PROTECT and OCaml GC.

Guillaume Yziquel guillaume.yziquel at citycable.ch
Sun Nov 29 19:57:27 CET 2009

Simon Urbanek a écrit :
> On Nov 28, 2009, at 7:50 PM, Guillaume Yziquel wrote:
>
> FWIW what I think you should be really looking at is R_PreserveObject/R_ReleaseObject.

OK. Thanks.

> I would suggest looking at the many other R embeddings in other languages that already exist since I don't think you approach is very viable (but I think I expressed that already before).

Lisp - the only thing I've seen is a translator:

http://dan.corlan.net/R_to_common_lisp_translator/

I haven't found a binding for Haskell. Nor for Scheme.

Do you know of any bindings of R to functional languages?

> since I don't think you approach is very viable (but I think I expressed that already before).

You expressed the sentiment that it would be a very bad idea to bypass
the current API. I would be happy to hear why you would think that a
low-level binding is not possible, or not very viable.

By low-level, I mean a binding that takes hold of R objects without
using symbols all over to reference them. (Using symbols in the formals,
the body or the environment of a closure is fine, for instance, but I'd
like to execute a closure directly, and eventually be able to construct
R closure from OCaml functions).

Please elaborate on the difficulties you perceive. That would be helpful.

> Cheers,
> Simon

All the best,

Guillaume.