[Rd] Suggestion for the reproducibility of R home page figure

Jean lobry lobry at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Fri Nov 20 19:53:31 CET 2009

Dear R-devel,

googling for the single letter R yields R-home page as the firt hit,
which is extremly nice.

By clicking on the figure you get the code of the "Winner of the R
Homepage graphics competition 2004."

By copy/pasting in your R console it doesn't work because it is impossible
to install the mva package.

This is my point.

As documented in ONEWS the reason is simple: since R 1.9.0 the package
mva as been merged into the package stats.

My suggestion is just to change the begining of the code as follows to
neutralize the requirement for the mva package:

----
### Code by Eric Lecoutre, Universite catholique de Louvain, Belgium
### Winner of the R Homepage graphics competition 2004

### Works in R 1.8.1 ...
### Still works in R 2.10.0 (2009-10-26) by deleting the requirement
for the mva package ...

require(ade4)
#require(mva) no more needed since R version 1.9.0 as mva was merged
in the standard stats package.
require(RColorBrewer)
require(pixmap)

etc.
----

so that reproducibility of the graph is straightforward (at least for
someone who
is able to install an R package).

This is a minor change. I consider this is important because it may help people
wanting to test quickly the long term reproducibility of R results. For them
installing a package is not a problem, but do not expect them to have time to
dig in old ONEWS....

Please take this as a constructive comment, I was amazed how it was easy for me
to run this "old" R code. Just want to share.

Very Best,

Jean
--
Jean R. Lobry            (lobry at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr)
Laboratoire BBE-CNRS-UMR-5558, Univ. C. Bernard - LYON I,