[Rd] R Usage Statistics

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 19 23:09:42 CET 2009

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Kevin R. Coombes wrote:

> Hi,
> I got the following comment from the reviewer of a paper (describing an
> algorithm implemented in R) that I submitted to BMC Bioinformatics:
> "Finally, which useful for exploratory work and some prototyping, neither R
> nor S-Plus are appropriate environments for deploying user applications that
> would receive much use."

The reviewer needs to get out more...

"Intel Capital has placed the number of R users at 1 million, and
Revolution kicks the estimate all the way up to 2 million."

from the New York Times Business Innovation Technology Blog

which follows up on this article

in their printed paper. Did the reviewer notice where that article said:

"Companies as diverse as Google, Pfizer, Merck, Bank of America, the
InterContinental Hotels Group and Shell use it."

Yeah, Google and those other companies just don't have much ken
for  muscular computing. ;-)

<more sarcasm>
Maybe you should retool in Visual Basic.
</more sarcasm>