[Rd] The default behaviour of a missing entry in an environment

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 13 21:42:37 CET 2009

If you develop your own code you can add your own behavior by
"extending" the environment class.  I put "extending" in quotation
marks, because 'environment' is one of few classes you should *not*
extend from in the regular S3 (and S4?) sense, at least that was the
case a few years ago.  You can search the r-devel list about issues
when trying to do so.  One thing I remember is that it didn't work
well to save such objects.  Bla bla bla, there are workarounds for it
and the Object class in the R.oo package is one.  Here is how you can
add your protection for your own environment-like objects:

library("R.oo");
o <- Object();
o$foo
[1] NULL

setConstructorS3("PickyObject", function(...) {
  extend(Object(), "PickyObject");
});
setMethodS3("$", "PickyObject", function(this, name) {
  hasField(this, name) || throw("No such field: ", name);
  NextMethod("$");
});

po <- PickyObject();
po$foo

Error in list(`po$foo` = <environment>, ``$.PickyObject`(po, foo)` = <environmen
t>,  :

[2009-11-13 21:39:51] Exception: No such field: foo
  at throw(Exception(...))
  at throw.default("No such field: ", name)
  at throw("No such field: ", name)
  at `$.PickyObject`(po, foo)
  at po$foo

po$foo <- TRUE;