[Rd] S4 objects in the data directory

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 12 11:54:46 CET 2009

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, Robin Hankin wrote:

> Hi
>
> [R-2.10.0; suse linux]
>
> I am having difficulty creating S4 objects in the data directory of a
> package. I want
> to create a bunch of simple S4 objects for use in the examples section of the
> Rd files.
>
> It says in R-exts that:
>
> " R code should be “self-sufficient” and not make use of extra functionality
> provided by the package, so that the data file can also be used without
> having to load the package"
>
> My current minimal self-contained example follows.
>
> le112:~% cat ./anRpackage/R/f.R
> setClass("foo", representation=representation(x="numeric"))
>
> le112:~% cat ./anRpackage/data/toy_foo.R
> "toy_foo" <- new("foo",x=rep(2,7))
>
> fails R CMD check (transcript below)
>
> It fails because the class isn't defined. I can
> add 'require(anRpackage)' to the toy_foo.R
> but I'm not sure if this is consistent with the above
> advice in R-exts (and it
> fails R CMD check anyway).

It isn't consistent.

> What is best practice for creating a package with
> "toy" S4 objects for use in the examples section
> of the Rd files?

Why not do this either in the examples section, or in a
make_data_for_examples() function in the package?

I see the data() mechanism as having been largely superseded by
lazy-loading.  It was primarily a way to avoid having large datasets
always loaded (and taking up memory and gc() time).  It is sometimes
convenient to load a dataset from a package without loading that
package: see the help for 'alias' and 'logLik' for example, but if you
don't need that possibility (and it seems that in your case it is not
available to you) you might as well have the object lazy-loaded in the
package or accessed by an accessor function in the package.