[Rd] Help in 2.10 lost its "Find" feature

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Nov 11 18:06:49 CET 2009

On 11/11/2009 11:40 AM, hadley wickham wrote:
>> I understand that no one wanted to maintain the old Help, but one feature I
>> used extensively -- as a newbie to R or to an unfamiliar package -- was the
>> capability of searching for a word or phrase on the Help page itself.
>> Ctrl-F/Command-F (Windows/mac) 'differently-phrased-capability' was a fast
>> way to find out how to specify the arguments for a function call to
>> accommodate a "capability" phrased differently than could be found in the
>> author's designed argument list, especially for long and informative Help's.
>> If new-Help could easily be enhanced to resurrect that feature, I believe
>> many users would appreciate it. Thanks.
>
> Most browsers offer this feature - it certainly works in safari and
> firefox, and I'm sure in internet explorer too.

I think Daniel was talking about the full text search of all pages.
This index for this was built by the Microsoft Help Compiler so it was
available in CHM help; the Mac has the full text search available in
lots of places, so it worked there just because the system automatically
indexed the static HTML pages.

I think it would be nice to get this back and make it less platform
specific.  It would need indexing of the content of the pages, and
Javascript or similar to access the indices.

Duncan Murdoch