[Rd] typo in docs for unlink()

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 11 15:29:06 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
> Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca>
>> wrote:

>>> That's a good point, but in favour of the current practice, it is very
>>> irritating when searches take you to functions that don't work on your
>>> system.
>>>
>>> One thing that might be possible is to render all versions of the help on
>>> all systems, but with some sort of indicator (e.g. a colour change) to
>>> indicate things that don't apply on your system, or only apply on your
>>> system.  I think the hardest part of doing this would be designing the
>>> output; actually implementing it would not be so bad.
>>>

>> I 2nd this wishlist - to see the documentation for all (known)
>> platforms, if possible.
>
> One way to see this is to read the .Rd files, rather than the rendered
> version.
>>
>> A very simple solution is to have an Rd
>> section on operating-system specific features, e.g.
>> \section{Differences between operating systems}{...}.
>>
>> This would decrease the trial and error of producing cross-platform code.
>>

> This is not easy.  For example, with unlink should the "recursive=TRUE"
> option not be mentioned except in the platform-specific section?  I think
> that would make the docs a lot harder to read.

I'd say the union across all OSes should be mentioned under the
\arguments{}.  Then one can add to \item{} making it clear that this
is specific to a particular OS, e.g. \item{recursive}{(Unix only)
...}.  That is in line with how some arguments are flagged
"(optional)" in \item{}.

At a minimum it is useful to have a note that makes the
reader/users/developer aware that the function differ between
platforms.  (With the new help system, this can be automated if such
functions have been flagged with an attribute, e.g. attr(fcn,
"differAcrossOSes") <- TRUE)

Just thoughts.

/Henrik