[Rd] typo in docs for unlink()

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Nov 11 11:36:33 CET 2009

On 10/11/2009 11:16 PM, Tony Plate wrote:
> PS, I should have said that I'm reading the docs for unlink in R-2.10.0
> on a Linux system.  The docs that appear in a Windows installation of R
> are different (the Windows docs do not mention that not all systems
> support recursive=TRUE).
>
> Here's a plea for docs to be uniform across all systems!  Trying to
> write R code that works on all systems is much harder when the docs are
> different across systems, and you might only see system specific notes
> on a different system than the one you're working on.

That's a good point, but in favour of the current practice, it is very
irritating when searches take you to functions that don't work on your
system.

One thing that might be possible is to render all versions of the help
on all systems, but with some sort of indicator (e.g. a colour change)
to indicate things that don't apply on your system, or only apply on
your system.  I think the hardest part of doing this would be designing
the output; actually implementing it would not be so bad.

Duncan Murdoch