[Rd] R292 and tcl/tk

Thu Nov 5 04:56:10 CET 2009

> QUESTION
> 1.  Are there any known issues with tcl/tk? Should I be doing
> anything different in the configuration?

As you might know, selecting a CRAN mirror normally uses tcltk.  Most
likely something is wrong with tcltk (not the R package, but the
library) on your machine.

> 2. When I try a simple plot command in either configuration   (eg.
> plot(sin, -pi, pi)),  the plot window shows up immediately on my
> machine but the plot itself takes all of two minutes to draw.  I am
> not sure if the two issues are related.

This is unrelated to the bug above.  In newer versions of R, the X11
device uses type = "cairo" per default.  This gives prettier results,
but is slower on (some) network connections.

Use X11(type = "Xlib") before you issue your plot command.  This
usually results in substantial speedup.  This is an old issue, that
has been discussed at depth when type = "cairo" was set to be default.

Kasper