[Rd] Help with issues for update when defining S3 methods for lm

Ulrike Groemping groemping at bht-berlin.de
Mon Nov 2 09:38:53 CET 2009

Dear expeRts,

in my package DoE.base, I have defined a generic for lm
(lm <- function(formula, ...){UseMethod("lm")})
and functions lm.design and lm.default (lm.default <- stats::lm). The
namespace exports "lm", and defines the methods with S3method (e.g.
S3method("lm",default)).

This construction causes a problem with update, as e.g. in

swiss.lm <- lm(Fertility~Education+Examination, swiss)
upd.swiss.lm <- update(swiss.lm, .~.-Examination)

which works without DoE.base loaded, but not with DoE.base loaded. In the
latter case, I get

Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : could not find function "lm.default"

I thought I exactly followed the directions in Section 1.6.2 of "Writing R
extensions". Any suggestions ?

Regards, Ulrike