[Rd] passing "..." arguments to a function called by eval()

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed May 27 02:06:18 CEST 2009

On 26/05/2009 5:13 PM, Richard Morey wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am starting learn to call C code from within R. So far, I've been
> trying toy problems to see if I can get them to work. One of the things
> I'd like to do is pass an arbitrary R function to C, evaluate the value
> in the C code using eval, and then return it. I also want to allow an
> arbitrary number of arguments to the function using "...".
>
> The code for my toy package looks like this:
> ########## R code, in pkg/R directory
> dTest <-
> function(x,...){
>     retVal    = .Call("dTestC",x[1],dnorm,...,rho=new.env(),PACKAGE="pkg")
>     return(retVal)
> }
>
> ########## C code, in pkg/src directory
>
> SEXP dTestC(SEXP dblX, SEXP funFn, SEXP dots, SEXP rho);

I wouldn't expect that to work, though it might if .Call is doing fancy
things with the args.  The way I'd do it is to pass list(...) as a
single argument to .Call, and within your C code, extract the elements.
  It would make the call to funFn more complicated (it wants a pairlist
of arguments, list(...) will be a vector list), but it looks safer than
what you did.

There's an example in the Writing R Externals manual at the end of
section 5.10.2 using ... with .External.  (It mentions using list(...)
with .Call.)

Duncan Murdoch