[Rd] Automatic Differentiation for R

Forth, Shaun s.a.forth at cranfield.ac.uk
Tue May 19 18:24:14 CEST 2009

Thanks for your interest in this topic.

In the AD community we are used to dealing with essentially arbitrarily complex computer code.  Some Fortran and C activities have looked at applications such as global climate models and computational fluid dynamics codes for aerospace design.  Fortran and C have relatively small intrinsic operations and function set.  I've done quite of lot or work with Matlab and had to consider "intrinsics" such as linear solves and determinants; this is probably more like the R approach. Matlab software is used by industry and commerce for involved computations with loops, branches and some collaborators have considered OO programs.

I look forward to hearing about R at the Oxford AD meeting and perhaps seeing if we can start to explore some efficient AD implementations.

Shaun

Dr Shaun Forth
Applied Mathematics & Scientific Computation
Cranfield Defence and Security
Cranfield University, Shrivenham Campus
Swindon SN6 8LA, England
tel: +44 (0)1793 785311