[Rd] Problem building (binary) packages for Windows / resolved

Peter Ruckdeschel peter.ruckdeschel at web.de
Fri May 15 16:34:46 CEST 2009

Hi Dunchan,

thanks for your quick answer.

>> Searching the help archives, I found a posting by Uwe Ligges,
>>        http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general/64574/
>> saying that
>>        R CMD INSTALL --build
>> was preferable to
>>        R CMD build --binary
>> --- in which respect? Would this avoid the error message?
>
> The main benefit is that links between help pages will be more likely
> to be set correctly.
Thank you for clarifying this; in fact
          R CMD INSTALL --build
produced the same problem for me (see below).

[snip]
>> Actually, the corresponding zip-file containes
>> a second DESCRIPTION file in the top folder, like a
>> bundle, which I think is the culpit, and after
>> deleting this installation worked out fine.
[snip]
> You can't have two files with the same name in the same folder in
> Windows.
Yes, but this is not what happened:

The zip file produced by either
            R CMD build --binary    or     R CMD INSTALL --build
had the following folder structure
(below the top folder, "+" indicating subfolder)

+<pkgname>
++chtml
++demo
++R
++R-ex

The two DESCRIPTION files were in different folders:
the first one in the top folder (at the wrong place), the second
one in the <pkgname> folder (at the right place).
Both DESCRIPTION files were identical.
> I use Rcmd INSTALL --build most of the time and have never seen your
> error.
so did I....

> I just tried Rcmd build --binary and the file installed okay.
> Can you give a recipe to reproduce the error?
In fact --- as Brian Ripley pointed out in another
reply --- this was a transient effect of R-2.10.0dev between
April 26 (my "old" devel version) and today.

It appeared for both
          R CMD build --binary mypkg
and
          R CMD INSTALL --build  mypkg

The problem did not happen for an older
devel version ---
R version 2.9.0 Under development (unstable) (2009-02-18 r47956)

So apologies for stirring you up with something that had been
fixed in the mean-time already.

Best, Peter