[Rd] Problem building (binary) packages for Windows

Peter Ruckdeschel peter.ruckdeschel at web.de
Fri May 15 14:10:21 CEST 2009

Hi,

I am having a problem building binary packages for
Windows recently.

Normally, I use the "Murdoch-Sutherland" tool set,
       http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/
just build source packages by
       R CMD build <pkgname>
and install these with
       R CMD INSTALL <pkgname>

But now, for someone without having this tool set installed,
under Win XP, with R-2.10dev (details below), I tried
building a binary version with
       R CMD build --binary <pkgname>
which used to work for me until recently (unfortunately I
cannot specify "recently" here...)

Trying to install the created .zip file with
       utils:::menuInstallLocal()

I get an error message
"
package 'distr' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
Error in unpackPkg(pkgs[i], pkgnames[i], lib) :
  malformed bundle DESCRIPTION file, no Contains field
"

Now AFAICS I have not tried to build a bundle ...

Searching the help archives, I found a posting by Uwe Ligges,
       http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general/64574/
saying that
       R CMD INSTALL --build
was preferable to
       R CMD build --binary
--- in which respect? Would this avoid the error message?

So far I have not come across this error message, and
packages I built with
       R CMD build --binary
installed correctly with
       utils:::menuInstallLocal()

Actually, the corresponding zip-file containes
a second DESCRIPTION file in the top folder, like a
bundle, which I think is the culpit, and after
deleting this installation worked out fine.

Could you please check what caused this second
DESCRIPTION file to be generated?

Any suggestions welcome,

Best, Peter

platform       i386-pc-mingw32

arch           i386

os             mingw32

system         i386, mingw32

status         Under development (unstable)

major          2

minor          10.0

year           2009

month          04

day            26

svn rev        48404

language       R

version.string R version 2.10.0 Under development (unstable) (2009-04-26
r48404)