[Rd] View() crashy on Ubuntu 9.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed May 13 03:59:16 CEST 2009

On 12 May 2009 at 19:46, Ben Bolker wrote:
|   It's my vague impression that View() is workable on Windows and maybe
| on MacOS, but on Ubuntu Linux 9.04 (intrepid) it seems completely
| unstable.  I can reliably crash R by trying to look  at a very small,
| simple data frame ...
|
|    I was going to try to run with debug turned on, but my installed
| version (2.9.0) doesn't have debugging symbols, and I'm having trouble

Good news: just run

     sudo apt-get install r-base-core-dbg

Most (library) packages (lib)foo now also ship (lib)foo-dbg which is provide
something close to pure magic -- just by installing these the already
instrumented gdb knows where to look for them.  See, no more recompiling.
Debug symbols appear out of thin air.  (I have used it only on Debian at home
when debugging R stuff, but it should really work the same for you there on
Ubuntu.)

| building the latest SVN version (./configure gives "checking for
| recommended packages... ls: cannot access
| ./src/library/Recommended/boot_*.tar.gz: No such file or directory")

It's moot as per the above but you need to either run the script to rsync
those in, or configure using

		    --without-recommended-packages

As for x11 instability, I happen to spend my daytime hours in from of
Cygwin/X connected to a few Ubuntu machines running R, and of late the
display has been unstable.  I tend to blame the other software first, but
indeed, the most recent change was probably R.  Did anybody experience that?

|    Can anyone confirm?
|
|   cheers
|     Ben Bolker
|

| R --vanilla
|
| > v <- data.frame(1:3,2:4)
| > sessionInfo()
| R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)
| i486-pc-linux-gnu
|
| locale:
| LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
|
| attached base packages:
| [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
|
| > View(v)
|
|   [change focus to the view window, hit "down arrow"]
|

|  *** caught segfault ***
| address 0x4, cause 'memory not mapped'
|
| Possible actions:
| 1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
| 2: normal R exit
| 3: exit R without saving workspace
| 4: exit R saving workspace
| Selection: 3

Confirmed. Dies for me too, but from Debian and Ubuntu connected to the same
display (Ubuntu 9.04).

Dirk