[Rd] In C, a fast way to slice a vector?

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Mon May 11 06:37:42 CEST 2009

Saptarshi,
I know of two alternatives you can use to do fast extraction of
consecutive subsequences of a vector:

1) Fast copy:  The method you mentioned of creating a memcpy'd vector
2) Pointer management: Creating an externalptr object in R and manage
the start and end of your data

If you are looking for a prototyping environment to try, I recommend
using the IRanges and Biostrings packages from the Bioconductor
project. The IRanges package contains a function called subseq for
performing 1) on all basic vector types (raw, logical, integer, etc.)
and Biostrings package contains a subseq method on an externalptr
based class that implements 2.

I was going to lobby R core members quietly about adding something
akin to subseq from IRanges into base R since it is extremely useful
for all long vectors and could replace all a:b calls with a <= b in R
code, but this publicity can't hurt.

Here is an example:

> source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
> biocLite(c("IRanges", "Biostrings"))
<< download output omitted >>
> suppressMessages(library(Biostrings))
> x <- rep(charToRaw("a"), 1e7)
> y <- BString(rawToChar(x))
> suppressMessages(library(Biostrings))
> x <- rep(charToRaw("a"), 1e7)
> y <- BString(rawToChar(x))
> system.time(x[13:1e7])
    user  system elapsed
   0.304   0.073   0.378
> system.time(subseq(x, 13))
    user  system elapsed
   0.011   0.007   0.019
> system.time(subseq(y, 13))
    user  system elapsed
   0.003   0.000   0.004
> identical(x[13:1e7], subseq(x, 13))
[1] TRUE
> identical(x[13:1e7], charToRaw(as.character(subseq(y, 13))))
[1] TRUE
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.0 Under development (unstable) (2009-05-08 r48504)
i386-apple-darwin9.6.0

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] Biostrings_2.13.5 IRanges_1.3.5

[1] Biobase_2.5.2