[Rd] proposed changes to RSiteSearch

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Thu May 7 16:18:12 CEST 2009

On 05/07/09 10:05, Liaw, Andy wrote:
> Can someone in R Core please take a look at the attached patches to
> RSiteSearch() and its help page?  I guess Jon is planning some changes
> on his site.  Jon:  could you elaborate on what the patch does?

The idea is simply to remove the mail archives, so the search will be
only of functions' help pages.  Eventually I will also add package
vignettes, but I don't think we need anything special for that.  I
can't imagine that someone would want to search just vignettes and not
help pages, or the reverse.

The reasons are: 1. The mail archives are becoming increasingly
difficult and time consuming for me to maintain.  2. There are now
three other ways of searching mail archives, all of which seem much
better than mine, but there seem to be no other good ways to search
help pages for functions, and, indeed, the new RSiteSearch packages
does only functions.  3. With only functions it would be much easier
for someone to set up a complete mirror of my site, which seems like a
good idea.

Jon
Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
Editor: Judgment and Decision Making (http://journal.sjdm.org)