[Rd] script window background and text color (PR#13446)

Michal Bojanowski michal2992 at gmail.com
Tue May 5 18:43:07 CEST 2009

<alexios <at> 4dscape.com> writes:
> Full_Name: alexios galanos
> Version: 2.8.1
> OS: windows/vista
> Submission from: (NULL) (81.100.160.71)
>
> While the script editor now respects user preferences for the background color
> in 2.8.1, it does not do so for the user text color defaulting to black. So my
> preference of having for example black background with green text fails (it is
> all black) in the script editor (the console is ok).

I believe this is not a bug, at least not in R 2.9.0. I did not check it
in 2.8.1 to which you refer. Perhaps it is just the lack of
documentation: I could not find any documentation for the options below.

The colors in the Windows GUI console, pager, data editor and syntax
editor can be set under Windows both using the GUI and with appropriate
entries in Rprofile.

In Rprofile you can use settings:

For the console:
background
normaltext
usertext

For pager:
pagerbg
pagertext
highlight

Data editor:
dataeditbg
dataedittext
dataedituser

Syntax editor:
editorbg
editortext

For example you can get black background and green text in the syntax
editor by adding the following to your Rprofile:

editorbg = black
editortext = green

I'm not sure whether all but the initial three were available in earlier
versions of R. Perhaps they were but they inherited the values from the
first three...

Perhaps this should be documented somwhere? In the Windows Rd file for
file.show, data.entry?

Best,
Michal

Michal Bojanowski
Department of Sociology, Utrecht University
m.j.bojanowski at uu.nl
http://bojan.3e.pl/weblog