[Rd] what is the preferred method to create a package local variable?

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Tue Mar 31 21:51:20 CEST 2009

The best way is to have those variable hidden in the package's
workspace, as explained by Roger Peng.

However, if you like to use a mechanism managing an environment
specifically dedicated to temporary variables very easily, look at
assignTemp() and getTemp() from svMisc package. The advantage is an
easier sharing of such variables between different packages (plus the
bonus of easy management of default values, overwriting or not of
current content if the variable already exists, ...). The temporary
environment (TempEnv) is always located in the forelast position just
before 'base'.

In any cases, avoid using .GlobalEnv and the ugly <<- for that purpose.
Best,

Philippe Grosjean