[Rd] what is the preferred method to create a package local variable?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Mar 31 19:51:08 CEST 2009

Stavros Macrakis wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Martin Morgan <mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
> <mailto:mtmorgan at fhcrc.org>> wrote:
>
>     I don't konw about preferred, but one method is
>
>     pkgVars <- local({
>        x <- NULL
>        list(getX=function() x, setX=function(value) x <<- value)
>     })
>
>     with use
>
>      > pkgVars$getX()
>     This introduces a different programming paradigm (a list of functions)
>     that might not be familiar for end-users and is not readily amenable
>     to documentation.
>

> Why "not readily amenable to documentation"?  If the user doesn't need

in the sense that ?pkgVars$getX would not do anything useful (I guess --
perhaps if there were an alias, I don't really know) and that R CMD
check would not detect inconsistencies between 'usage', code, and
documentation, for instance.

> to understand the structure, he can consider the "$" as simply part of

but that would be additional syntax for the user to learn, which would
be counter-productive.

> the function name.  And I wouldn't name it pkgVars but pkg.

In general I would rather expose the interface than the object, which
lead me to my so-called 'better way'.

>     A probably better way is
>
>     pkgVars <- new.env(parent=emptyenv())
>     getX <- function() get("x", pkgVars, inherits=FALSE)
>     setX <- function(value) assign("x", value, envir=pkgVars)
>

> I think a simpler, clearer way to make getX etc. globally visible is:
>
>   local({
>    x <- NULL
>    getX <<- function() x
>    setX  <<- function(value) x <<- value
>  })

By 'globally' you mean in the package name space, I guess (this is
relying on a fairly nuanced understanding of what the 'top' environment
is during package building). For me the paradigm of <<- to the top
environment (or first getX found in the search path) opens the door to
doing dumb things like overwriting user variables. Maybe a risk you're
willing to engage within your own name space...

Martin

--
Martin Morgan
1100 Fairview Ave. N.