[Rd] Wishlist: optional svn-revision number tag in package DESCRIPTION file

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Mar 31 18:58:23 CEST 2009

On 3/31/2009 10:41 AM, Peter Ruckdeschel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a little wish :
>
> Could we have one (or maybe more) standardized optional tag(s)
> for package DESCRIPTION files to cover svn revision info?
> This would be very useful for bug reporting...
>
> I know that any developer is already free to append corresponding lines
> to DESCRIPTION files to do something of this sort --- e.g. lines like
>
> LastChangedDate: {$LastChangedDate: 2009-03-31 $}
> LastChangedRevision: {$LastChangedRevision: 447 $}

That will give you the last change to the DESCRIPTION file, not the last
change to the package, so it could be misleading.  Last time I looked,
there wasn't a way in svn to auto update a file that wasn't involved in
a changeset.  (You could put something into your build script to call
svnversion, but I don't know anything simpler.)

Duncan Murdoch