[Rd] Wishlist: optional svn-revision number tag in package DESCRIPTION file

Peter Ruckdeschel peter.ruckdeschel at web.de
Tue Mar 31 16:41:10 CEST 2009

Hi,

just a little wish :

Could we have one (or maybe more) standardized optional tag(s)
for package DESCRIPTION files to cover svn revision info?
This would be very useful for bug reporting...

I know that any developer is already free to append corresponding lines
to DESCRIPTION files to do something of this sort --- e.g. lines like

LastChangedDate: {$LastChangedDate: 2009-03-31 $}
LastChangedRevision: {$LastChangedRevision: 447 $}

and correspondingly setting the svn keyword properties "LastChangedDate"
and "LastChangedRevision" would clearly do (even without Makefile /
configure ...)

But as package development under svn (especially under r-forge)
is just so frequent, it would be nice to have a recommended
format that could be read out in a standardized form, say
by a function like packageDescription from package 'utils':-)

I would vote for optional extra tags "LastChangedDate"
and "LastChangedRevision".

I have attached a commented and correspondingly
modified version of packageDescription() --- if you find it
helpful feel free to integrate it to package 'utils'.

Best,
Peter