[Rd] dput(as.list(function...)...) bug

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Mar 24 01:28:07 CET 2009

On 23/03/2009 7:37 PM, Stavros Macrakis wrote:
> Tested in R 2.8.1 Windows
>
>> ff <- formals(function(x)1)
>> ff1 <- as.list(function(x)1)[1]
> # ff1 acts the same as ff in the examples below, but is a list rather
> than a pairlist
>
>> dput( ff , control=c("warnIncomplete"))
> list(x = )
>
> This string is not parsable, but dput does not give a warning as specified.

That's not what "warnIncomplete" is documented to do.  The docs (in
?.deparseOpts) say

  'warnIncomplete' Some exotic objects such as environments,
           external pointers, etc. can not be deparsed properly.  This
           option causes a warning to be issued if any of those may give
           problems.

           Also, the parser in R < 2.7.0 would only accept strings of up
           to 8192 bytes, and this option gives a warning for longer
           strings.

As far as I can see, none of those conditions apply here:  ff is not one
of those exotic objects or a very long string.  The really relevant
comment is in the dput documentation:

"Deparsing an object is difficult, and not always possible."

Yes, it would be nice if deparsing and parsing were mutual inverses, but
they're not, and are documented not to be.

>> dput( ff , control=c("all","warnIncomplete"))
> list(x = quote())
>
> This string is parseable, but quote() is not evaluable, and again dput
> does not give a warning as specified.
>
> In fact, I don't know how to write out ff$x.

I don't know of any input that will parse to it.

  It appears to be the
> zero-length name:
>
>     is.name(ff$x) => TRUE
>     as.character(ff$x) => ""

This may give you a hint:

 > y <- ff$x
Error: argument "y" is missing, with no default

It's a special internal thing that triggers the missing value error when
evaluated.  It probably shouldn't be user visible at all.

Duncan Murdoch