[Rd] Why does the lexical analyzer drop comments ?

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Mon Mar 23 08:10:52 CET 2009

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 22/03/2009 4:50 PM, Romain Francois wrote:
>> Romain Francois wrote:

>>> Ouch. That helps picturing the kind of madness ...
>>>
>>> Another way could be to record comments separately (similarly to
>>> srcfile attribute for example) instead of dropping them entirely,
>>> but I guess this is the same as Duncan's idea, which is easier to
>>> set up.

>> Coming back on this. I actually get two expressions:
>>
>>  > p <- parse( "/tmp/parsing.R")
>>  > str( p )
>> length 2 expression(f, (a = 1))
>>  - attr(*, "srcref")=List of 2
>>   ..$ :Class 'srcref'  atomic [1:6] 1 1 1 1 1 1
>>   .. .. ..- attr(*, "srcfile")=Class 'srcfile' <environment: 0x95c3c00>
>>   ..$ :Class 'srcref'  atomic [1:6] 2 1 6 1 1 1
>>   .. .. ..- attr(*, "srcfile")=Class 'srcfile' <environment: 0x95c3c00>
>>  - attr(*, "srcfile")=Class 'srcfile' <environment: 0x95c3c00>
>>
>> But anyway, if I drop the first comment, then I get one expression
>> with some srcref information:
>>
>>  > p <- parse( "/tmp/parsing.R")
>>  > str( p )
>> length 1 expression(f(a = 1))
>>  - attr(*, "srcref")=List of 1
>>   ..$ :Class 'srcref'  atomic [1:6] 1 1 5 1 1 1
>>   .. .. ..- attr(*, "srcfile")=Class 'srcfile' <environment: 0x9bca314>
>>  - attr(*, "srcfile")=Class 'srcfile' <environment: 0x9bca314>
>>
>> but as far as i can see, there is only srcref information for that
>> expression as a whole, it does not go beyond, so I am not sure I can
>> implement Duncan's proposal without more detailed information from
>> the parser, since I will only have the chance to check if a
>> whitespace is actually a comment if it is between two expressions
>> with a srcref.
>
> Currently srcrefs are only attached to whole statements.  Since your
> source only included one or two statements, you only get one or two
> srcrefs.  It would not be hard to attach a srcref to every
> subexpression; there hasn't been a need for that before, so I didn't
> do it just for the sake of efficiency.

I understand that. I wanted to make sure I did not miss something.

> However, it might make sense for you to have your own parser, based on
> the grammar in R's parser, but handling white space differently.
> Certainly it would make sense to do that before making changes to the
> base R one.  The whole source is in src/main/gram.y; if you're not
> familiar with Bison, I can give you a hand.

Thank you, I appreciate your help. Having my own parser is the option I
am slowly converging to.
I'll start with reading bison documentation. Besides bison documents, is
there R specific documentation on how the R parser was written ?

> Duncan Murdoch
>

>> Would it be sensible then to retain the comments and their srcref
>> information, but separate from the tokens used for the actual
>> parsing, in some other attribute of the output of parse ?
>>
>> Romain

Romain Francois
Independent R Consultant
+33(0) 6 28 91 30 30