[Rd] vignette index not linked into HTML help system for package

Thomas Petzoldt Thomas.Petzoldt at tu-dresden.de
Mon Mar 16 12:16:01 CET 2009

Dear R developers,

I observed that the html help page index entry "Read overview or browse
directory" for package vignettes is missing in recent R-devel.

This happened on two independent computers (WinXP Prof. SP3, German)
with R-devel compiled from sources svn rev. 48125 resp. 48128
It's the same for my own and also for more prominent packages as well
(e.g. grid).

The vignettes and the index.html files exist and vignette() as well as
browseVignettes() work as expected.

I have not found anything about this in NEWS or "Writing R extensions",
which says:

"At install time an HTML index for all vignettes is automatically
created from the \VignetteIndexEntry statements unless a file index.html
exists in directory inst/doc. This index is linked into the HTML help
system for each package."

Have I missed something?

Thanks a lot

Thomas Petzoldt