[Rd] Definition of [[

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon Mar 16 09:26:27 CET 2009

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Wacek Kusnierczyk wrote:

> Stavros Macrakis wrote:
>>
>> Well, that's one issue.  But another is that there should be a
>> specification addressed to users, who should not have to understand
>> internals.
>>

> this should really be taken seriously.

Well, the lack of such a specification is a documented bug (see the FAQ on bug reporting), and I think everyone agrees it would be useful, just not as useful as what they would have to stop doing to write it.  In fact, such a document may well have a higher priority than it deserves: people who would want that sort of documentation are overrepresented in R-core compared to the general R user community.

There was a panel talk at DSC2005 (yes, four years ago) on the possibilities for a joint R/S language standard. That would have provided an external stimulus and a framework for finding all the inconsistencies. It didn't really eventuate.

      -thomas