[Rd] r-devel tarball build failure on windows

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 12 15:22:47 CET 2009

I realized that there was a different point tacked on here that has
not been answered:

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Hiroyuki Kawakatsu wrote:

[...]

> By the way, I noticed that -make all recommended- still builds the CHM
> help files for certain packages (e.g. Matrix) even though I set
> USE_CHM=FALSE in MkRules. Is this expected?

Yes, it was expected.  MkRules is only used for building R, not
installing packages.  The default for installing contributed packages
is to build CHM help if and only if the Help Compiler is available, so
all recommended packages followed that rule.

We haven't made a final decision yet whether to support CHM help in
future versions (and one point R-devel did not do so and it was
planned to drop this for 2.9.0): my expectations are that we will
support it in 2.9.0 and that USE_CHM will then control the options
used to install the recommended packages, but that support may be
withdrawn at some not too distant point.

I intend in the next week or so (GFF is Mar 20) to review what loose
ends there are in package installation and Windows builds and tidy
them up.  Once we have an alpha pre-release, reports on such matters
will be welcome but until then they are a distraction.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk