[Rd] surprising behaviour of names<-

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Mar 11 16:03:32 CET 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 10:52 , Simon Urbanek wrote:

> Wacek,
>
> Peter gave you a full answer explaining it very well. If you really
> want to be able to trace each instance yourself, you have to learn
> far more about R internals than you apparently know (and Peter
> hinted at that). Internally x=1 an x=c(1) are slightly different in
> that the former has NAMED(x) = 2 whereas the latter has NAMED(x) = 0
> which is what causes the difference in behavior as Peter explained.
> The reason is that c(1) creates a copy of the 1 (which is a constant
> [=unmutable] thus requiring a copy) and the new copy has no other
> references and thus can be modified and hence NAMED(x) = 0.

Errata: to be precise replace NAMED(x) = 0 with NAMED(x) = 1 above --
since NAMED(c(1)) = 0 and once it's assigned to x it becomes NAMED(x)
= 1 -- this is just a detail on how things work with assignment, the
explanation above is still correct since duplication happens
conditional on NAMED == 2.

Cheers,
Simon