[Rd] Chunk of text won't show up when compiling Rd file

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 10 08:41:44 CET 2009

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Ben Bryant wrote:

> Greetings -
>
> Thanks for the response and apologies for the delay.
>
> I was actually unable to get even the example script for Rd2HTML to work in
> 2.9.0dev, which may be due to my lack of general programming savvy, or
> possibly my working on a windows machine?

So, no information on what went wrong.  Your example works for me in
R-devel, even on Windows.

> In the meantime I found a workaround to address my immediate needs
> (just including another section in the Rd file).  The most helpful I
> can be with my current level of knowledge is to include a full Rd
> text that reproduces the error, if someone would like to give it a
> shot.  (below).

\value sections are somewhat special.  In versions < 2 of Rd format it
starts out as a standard text section but the first \item macro turns
it into a \describe list. And this *is* how they are documented:

'If a list with multiple values is returned, you can use entries of
the form

           \item{comp_i}{Description of comp_i.}

for each component of the list returned. Optional text may precede
this list (see the introductory example for rle).'

I take that to mean that text can only *precede* a list.  You are
expecting something to work that is AFAICS undocumented and not
intended to work.

In the current Rd2 conversion additional text after \item sections
terminates the list, so this behaves more as you want (as a set of
lists).  However, Rd2 conversion is not released as yet, and almost
certainly will not be in 2.9.0.  (I don't think the change in
behaviour has yet been agreed by R-core.)