[Rd] quantile(), IQR() and median() for factors

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Fri Mar 6 18:05:18 CET 2009

I like the idea of median and friends working on ordered factors.  Just a couple of thoughts on possible implementations.

Adding extra checks and functionality will slow down the function.  For a single evaluation on a given dataset this slowdown will not be noticeable, but inside of a simulation, bootstrap, or other high iteration technique, it could matter.  I would suggest creating a core function that does just the calculations (median, quantile, iqr) assuming that the data passed in is correct without doing any checks or anything fancy.  Then the user callable function (median et. al.) would do the checks dispatch to other functions for anything fancy, etc. then call the core function with the clean data.  The common user would not really notice a difference, but someone programming a high iteration technique could clean the data themselves, then call the core function directly bypassing the checks/branches.

Just out of curiosity (from someone who only learned from English (Americanized at that) and not Italian texts), what would the median of [Low, Low, Medium, High] be?

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org