[Rd] bug (PR#13570)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Mar 6 08:45:39 CET 2009

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Benjamin Tyner wrote:

> Hi
>
> Nice to hear from you Ryan. I also do not have the capability to debug on
> windows; however, there is a chance that the behavior you are seeing is
> caused by the following bug noted in my thesis (available on ProQuest; email
> me if you don't have access):
>
> "When lambda = 0 there are no local slopes to aid the blending algorithm, yet
> the
> interpolator would still assume they were available, and thus use arbitrary
> values
> from memory. This had implications for both fit and tr[L] computation. In the
> updated code these are set equal to zero which seems the best automatic rule
> when
> lambda = 0." [lambda refers to degree]
>
> I submitted a bug fix to Eric Grosse, the maintainer of the netlib routines;
> the fixed lines of fortran are identified in the comments at (just search for
> my email address):
>
> http://www.netlib.org/a/loess
>
> These fixes would be relatively simple to incorporate into R's version of
> loessf.f

The fixes from dloess even more simply, since R's code is based on
dloess.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Given how tricky this is to reproduce, I went back to my example under
valgrind.  If I use the latest dloess code, it crashes, but by
selectively importing some of the differences I can get it to work.

So it looks as if we are on the road to a solution, but something in
the current version (not necessarily in these changes) is incompatible
with the current R code and I need to dig further (not for a few
days).

> Alternatively, a quick check would be for someone to compile the source
> package at https://centauri.stat.purdue.edu:98/loess/loess_0.4-1.tar.gz and
> test it on windows. Though this package incorporates this and a few other
> fixes, please be aware that it the routines are converted to C and thus there
> is a slight performance hit compared to the fortran.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Ben

[...]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk