[Rd] CRAN package check on MacOS: sh: line 1: gs: command not found

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 4 13:28:19 CET 2009

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Thomas Petzoldt wrote:

> Dear R developers,
>
> I recently observed a NOTE on several MaxOS X package checks:
>
> sh: line 1: gs: command not found
> !!! Error: Closing Ghostscript (exit status: 127)!
> /usr/bin/texi2dvi: thumbpdf exited with bad status, quitting.
>

> See for details:
>
> http://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-release-macosx-ix86/simecol-00check.html
>
> or
>
> http://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-release-macosx-ix86/fxregime-00check.html
>

> Does anybody know what's wrong here?

Almost certainly a problem on the Mac build machine.  So

1) Asking on R-sig-mac is more likely to get an answer
2) I believe Simon Urbanek is travelling and only he can do anything
about that machine.

Unfortunately there are rather a lot of problems with the MacOS
checks, so I tend to ignore them (but then I do have a Mac or two of
my own to check on).