[Rd] Removing support for --without-iconv

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 29 11:34:38 CEST 2009

We made support for a sufficiently general iconv 'essential' in R
2.5.0 and have been giving configure warnings on --without-iconv ever
since.  We originally announced that --without-iconv would be
available in 2.5.x only.

The delay in making iconv compulsory was down to problems with
installing GNU iconv from public repositories on AIX and 64-bit
Solaris, but both are now resolved (see the latest R-admin manual, in
R-patched or R-devel).

So we now propose to make iconv compulsory as from R 2.10.0.  If
anyone has a compelling reason why this would cause difficulties,
please post a deatialed case during the next week.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk