[Rd] 2.9.0 and make check errors | mystery deepens

Evan Cooch cooch17 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 26 02:20:11 CEST 2009

So, I tried the following configure:

./configure   --with-lapack  --with-blas --with-tcltk

No use of ACML at all, but both lapack and blas. Configure proceeds
without any errors. Make, same thing.

Make check - same problem with stats. But, this time a .fail file got
created in tests/Example. Bottom of the file has something which might
resonate with someone out there:

Error in La.svd(x, nu, nv) :
  BLAS/LAPACK routine 'DGESDD' gave error code -12
Calls: cancor -> svd -> La.svd -> .Call
Execution halted

So, from the admin guide, I find the following

Since ACML contains a full LAPACK, if selected as the BLAS it can be
used as the LAPACK /via/ --with-lapack.
If you do use --with-lapack, be aware of potential problems with bugs in
the LAPACK 3.0 sources (or in the posted corrections to those sources).
In particular, bugs in |DGEEV| and |DGESDD| have resulted in error
messages such as

DGEBRD gave error code -10

So, seems that I'm seeing something analogous (or exactly like) to the
'bug' indicated above.

So, suggestions on how to proceed? It seems that the problem lies with
LAPACK. Indeed, system comes with LAPACK 3.xx (I have both 32- and
64-bit flavors, which differ a bit; 32-bit is 3.0.37 and 64-bit is
3.1.1), so not sure what to do.