[Rd] R_parseVector and syntax error [was: error messages while parsing with rniParse]

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Jun 19 08:53:27 CEST 2009

Romain Francois wrote:
> Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
>> Simon Urbanek wrote:

>>> I'm not quite following - we're talking about R_ParseVector in C
>>> code  so the point is that the C code gets access to the error
>>> message so it  can relay it to the user.
>>>
>> I understood that.  But the C code can get the error message by
>> evaluating an R expression and looking at the result.
>>

>>> There are no R-level functions involved  here. The issue here for the
>>> moment is that this information is  retrievable at R level but not
>>> (officially) at the C level.
>>>
>> I wouldn't mind exposing the underlying information in a clean way,
>> but the string in R_ParseVector isn't all a front end should get.
>>

> Great. Let's do that.
> Is a function that simply returns some of the static variables used by
> bison clean enough ?

It could be.   I'd like a design that allows for the possibility of
multiple syntax errors to be reported.  I have parse_Rd doing that,
though not committed yet.  parse() is different because we have to be
less tolerant of errors in R code than in Rd files.  But we could still
report multiple errors in one parse, not just stop at the first one.

Duncan Murdoch