[Rd] Bug in the package RODBC (PR#13745)

marc_schwartz at me.com marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Jun 5 19:20:27 CEST 2009

On Jun 5, 2009, at 9:30 AM, nachikethas at cox.net wrote:

> Full_Name: N. Srinivasan
> Version: 2.8.1
> OS: Linux
> Submission from: (NULL) (68.110.225.2)
>

> * Installing *source* package 'RODBC' ...
> checking for gcc... gcc -std=gnu99
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking whether gcc -std=gnu99 accepts -g... yes
> checking for gcc -std=gnu99 option to accept ANSI C... none needed
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu99 -E
> checking for egrep... grep -E
> checking for ANSI C header files... yes
> checking for sys/types.h... yes
> checking for sys/stat.h... yes
> checking for stdlib.h... yes
> checking for string.h... yes
> checking for memory.h... yes
> checking for strings.h... yes
> checking for inttypes.h... yes
> checking for stdint.h... yes
> checking for unistd.h... yes
> checking sql.h usability... no
> checking sql.h presence... no
> checking for sql.h... no
> checking sqlext.h usability... no
> checking sqlext.h presence... no
> checking for sqlext.h... no
> configure: error: "ODBC headers sql.h and sqlext.h not found"
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RODBC'
> ** Removing '/home/user1/R-2.8.1/library/RODBC'
>
> The downloaded packages are in
> 	/tmp/RtmpmB0FH5/downloaded_packages
> Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
> Warning message:
> In install.packages("RODBC") :
>  installation of package 'RODBC' had non-zero exit status

That's not a bug.

You are missing the required header files as noted in the error message.

You need to have unixODBC AND the unixODBC development package
installed as well. The latter has the header files.

You do not indicate what Linux distribution you are using, so we are
going to be limited in providing additional details for resolution.

A search of the R-Help archives would have told you the above as it
has come up frequently before. It would have saved you time and would
have saved a member of R Core from having to manually process a bug
report that was filed in error. Next time, please search the archives
or post a message to R-Help if you are unsure.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz