[Rd] Show location of workspace image on quit?

Wacek Kusnierczyk Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no
Fri Jun 5 14:36:43 CEST 2009

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 05/06/2009 7:53 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
>> When I quit R, it says:
>>
>>  > q()
>>  Save workspace image? [y/n/c]:
>>
>>  and since I've probably got 3 R sessions running in however many
>> different directories and I might have jumped around with setwd() , I
>> forget exactly where R wants to save its workspace image. So could q()
>> be changed to say what file it is going to save to before it does?
>>
>>  Currently I have to hit 'c', then do getcwd(), then quit again.
>> Would something like
>>
>>  > q()
>>  Save workspace image (/home/me/workspace/.RData)? [y/n/c]:
>>
>>  be useful to anyone else? Just thought I'd ask before I dive into
>> internals or wrap the q function for myself.
>
> That sounds like a great suggestion.  I might word it as
>
> Save workspace to "/home/me/workspace/.RData"? [y/n/c]

but then what would happen if you choose 'n'?  i'd expect a prompt for
another path --  and i'd suspect this is what others would expect, too.
with the message as barry suggests, exiting without saving is the most
natural thing, which is what happens in the current implementation.

if you insist on your version, it would be better, i think, to change
the behaviour, too.

vQ