[Rd] formal argument "envir" matched by multiple actual arguments

luke at stat.uiowa.edu luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Tue Jun 2 17:34:47 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

> [...]
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   14
>>   169
>>   170
>>   171
>>   Error: not a weak reference
>>   Error: not a weak reference
>>   [repeat the above line thousands of times]
>>   Error: not a weak reference
>>   Error: not a weak reference
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   Error: SET_VECTOR_ELT() can only be applied to a 'list', not a 'integer'
>>   Error: SET_VECTOR_ELT() can only be applied to a 'list', not a 'integer'
>>   [repeat the above line thousands of times]
>>   Error: SET_VECTOR_ELT() can only be applied to a 'list', not a 'integer'
>>   Error: SET_VECTOR_ELT() can only be applied to a 'list', not a 'integer'
>>   172
>>   246
>>   247
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>   cleaning B object...
>>
>>    *** caught segfault ***
>>   address 0x41, cause 'memory not mapped'
>>
>>   Traceback:
>>    1: gc()
>>    2: function (e) {    gc()    cat("cleaning", class(ans),
>> "object...\n")}(<environment>)
>>
>>   Possible actions:
>>   1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
>>   2: normal R exit
>>   3: exit R without saving workspace
>>   4: exit R saving workspace
>>   Selection: 2
>>   Save workspace image? [y/n/c]: n
>>   Segmentation fault
>>
>> So apparently, if the finalizer triggers garbage collection,
>> then we can end up with a corrupted session. Then anything can
>> happen, from the strange 'formal argument "envir" matched by
>> multiple actual arguments' error I reported in the previous post,
>> to a segfault. In the worse case, nothing apparently happens but
>> the output produced by the code is wrong.
>>
>> Maybe garbage collection requests should be ignored during the
>> execution of the finalizer? (and more generally during garbbage

Thanks for the report.  The gc proper does not (or should not) do
anything that could cause allocation or trigger another gc.  The gc
proper only identifies objects ready for finalization; running the
finalizers happens outside the gc proper where allocation and gc calls
should be safe.  This looks like either a missing PROTECT call in the
code for running finalizers or possibly a more subltle bug in managing
the lists of objects in different states of finalization. I will look
more carefully when I get a chance.

luke