[Rd] Recommendations for a quick UI.

Kevin R. Coombes krcoombes at mdacc.tmc.edu
Mon Jun 1 15:21:33 CEST 2009

Hi,

The following idea only partially answers your question....

I have successfully written a GUI using the tcl/tk package that ships
with standard R. It is then possible (in Windows) to create a shortcut
icon that runs the following command:
    C:\R\R-2.8.1\bin\R.exe --vanilla -e library(SuperCurveGUI);sc();
Note two features:
[1] the first part of the -e switch loads the library containing the GUI
[2] the second part (after the semicolon) launches the GUI

If you make a "normal" shortcut this way, a batch window will open
showing the ongoing R session, which is not quite what you want.
However, if you adjust the shortcut to "Run: Minimized", then (most)
users will never see the batch window, and will only see the GUI.

The reasons that this only partially answers your question are
[1] It is Windows-specific
[2] I do not know how to set up the shortcut automatically upon
installation.

    Kevin