[Rd] Using svSocket with data.table

Olaf Mersmann olafm at kimberly.tako.de
Sat Jul 25 22:56:51 CEST 2009

Hi Matthew,

Excerpts from Matthew Dowle's message of Sat Jul 25 09:07:44 +0200 2009:
> So I'm looking to do the same as the demo,  but with a binary socket.  Does
> anyone have any ideas?  I've looked a bit at  Rserve, bigmemory, biocep, nws
> but although all those packages are great,  I didn't find anything that
> worked in exactly this way i.e.  i) R to R ii) CLI non-blocking and iii) no
> need to startup R in a special way

Don't be fooled. R does not handle multiple requests in parallel
internally. Also I suspect that, depending on what you do on the CLI,
this will interact badly with svSocket.

As far as binary transfer of R objects goes, you are probably looking
for serialize() and unserialize(). Not sure if these are guaranteed to
work across differen versions of R and different word sizes. See the
Warnings section in the serialize manual page.

Cheers
Olaf