[Rd] Wishlist: install.packages to look for the newest version (PR#13852)

ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Fri Jul 24 20:00:38 CEST 2009

Ulrike,

if you install from source, you always get the most recent version of
the package given it does not depend on a newer version of R.

If you want a binary package, you also get the newest version - that was
newest at the time we stopped building binaries for that version of R.
We (or better I if we only talk about Windows, but similar for all other
platforms) cannot build for each R version any more. In that case we'd
have to build even 11 binary versions for Windows just for the R-2.x.y
series now. Binary repositories are fixed at some time (for Windows once
the first patchlevel release of the next R version is out, e.g. at the
time of the R-2.9.1 release the binary builds for R-2.8.x had been stopped).

So please upgrade your version of R or compile yourself from sources for
the R version you need the particular package for.

Best wishes,
Uwe Ligges