[Rd] Resizing a named vector crashes R with gctorture(TRUE) (PR#13837)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Jul 16 12:12:33 CEST 2009

On 15/07/2009 10:15 PM, Hervé Pagès wrote:
> I have to confess that I'm a little bit puzzled by how the
> PROTECT/UNPROTECT mechanism is used in the C code of R.
> Duncan, you say the problem you just fixed was an easy one.
> I looked at the C code too and was able to recognize a pattern
> that is indeed easy to identify as problematic:
>
>    an unprotected call to allocVector() followed by a call
>    that can trigger garbage collection (in that case another
>    call to allocVector())
>
> It only took me 1 minute to find another occurrence of this pattern.
> It's in the do_grep() function (src/main/character.c, line 1168):
>
>    > gctorture(TRUE)
>    > grep("b", c(A="aa", B="aba"), value=TRUE)
>    "B"
>
> Given that the overhead of PROTECTing the SEXP returned by
> allocVector() can really be considered 0 (or almost), I'm
> wondering why this is not done in a more systematic way.

This is an explanation, not a justification:

If you look at the history of that file, you'll see a hint:  line 1168
was written in 1998, the other lines were written later, by other
people.  It is simply a matter of someone thinking something was safe
when it wasn't, and it's not clear who was wrong:  it may have been safe
when written, but susceptible to later changes.

> Even when nothing between PROTECT(allocVector()) and the
> corresponding UNPROTECT could trigger garbage collection
> (e.g. PROTECT(allocVector()) is close to the return statement).
> Because making exceptions like this can make your code
> really hard to maintain in the long term.

There are a lot of people who object to anything that slows R at all.
That puts pressure on anyone writing code to do it in a way that wastes
as few cycles as possible.  That in turn makes it harder for someone
else to analyze the code.  And overuse of PROTECT also makes the code
harder to read.

As an example: just below line 1168 there's another unprotected
allocVector of nm, but I think that one is safe, because it is attached
as an attribute to ans (which is now PROTECT'd) before anything is done
that could trigger gc.  And a few lines below that, on another branch of
the if, another unprotected but safe-looking allocation.  Should I
protect those?  Then I'd also need to call UNPROTECT again, or keep a
counter of PROTECT calls, and the code would be a little harder to read.

Thanks for tracking down these two bugs; I'll fix the grep bug too.  If
you feel like looking for more, it would be appreciated.  (Writing an
automatic tool to analyze code and determine where new ones are needed
and where existing ones could be eliminated might be a fun project, but
there are too many fun projects.)

Duncan Murdoch