[Rd] Installation of R_2.9.1 & readline (PR#13805)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jul 8 14:44:20 CEST 2009

On 6 July 2009 at 08:50, mb990434 at uni-greifswald.de wrote:
| Submission from: (NULL) (141.53.34.152)
|

| Hello,
| when I try to install R by "./configure", I get the following message:
|
| <quote>
| .
| .
| .
| configure: error: --with-readline=yes (default) and headers/libs are not
| available
| <end of quote>.
|
| Installation by "./configure --with-readline=no" works, but then I do not have
| the comfort do use the arrow-keys for moving the cursor within a command or
| scrolling through command history. Any ideas?

See http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/ for detailed instruction on
getting pre-compiled current versions of R for Ubuntu.

As for your other non-bug bug report, you also get Rcmdr for Ubuntu via 'sudo
apt-get r-cran-rcmdr' --- and the same holds for a number of other CRAN
packages which are already in Ubuntu.

Dirk