[Rd] Conditional dependency between packages

Jon Olav Skoien j.skoien at geo.uu.nl
Fri Jul 3 10:32:05 CEST 2009

I agree that require makes it clearer what happens, so I will probably
change. The disadvantage is the (for some users confusing)
messages/warnings if the package is not installed. Wrapping it in with
suppressWarnings and suppressMessages before reprinting the load message
solves that though:

if (suppressMessages(suppressWarnings(require(pkg1)))) {
  print("Loading required package: pkg1")
}

Thanks,
Jon