[Rd] Conditional dependency between packages

Jon Olav Skoien j.skoien at geo.uu.nl
Thu Jul 2 14:29:06 CEST 2009

Hi Seth,

And thanks for your suggestion! I was not able to do exactly what you
described (I have no earlier experience with using environments), but
you mentioning .onLoad was a good starting point. I have now removed all
references to pkg1 from the NAMESPACE, and wrote the following .onLoad
function:

.onLoad <- function(libname, pkgname) {
  if ("pkg1" %in% rownames(utils:::installed.packages()) ) {
    library(pkg1)
    info = matrix(c("fun1", "fun2", "fun3", rep("pkg2", 3), rep(NA,3)),
ncol = 3)
    registerS3methods(info, package = "pkg1", env = environment(funInPkg2))
  }
}

New methods for functions fun1, fun2 and fun3 seem to be available if
pkg1 is installed, while they are ignored if pkg1 is not installed. The
function above loads pkg1 automatically if installed (I would prefer
this to be optional), but at least it will not be necessary to download
pkg1 (with all its dependencies) for users without interest in it.

I have not found any description of registerS3methods (except from an
old .Rd file stating that it is not intended to be called directly), so
there might be better ways of doing this... And I am sure there is a
better way of assigning the right environment...

Thanks again,
Jon