[Rd] x <- 1:2; dim(x) <- 2? A vector or not?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 16 15:52:04 CET 2009

    PatB> Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Prof Brian Ripley
    >> <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What you have is a one-dimensional array: they crop up
    >>> in R most often from table() in my experience.

    >>> 'table' int [, 1:10] 2 6 18 21 13 16 13 4 3 4 - attr(*,
    >>> "dimnames")=List of 1 ..$ : chr [1:10] "0" "1" "2" "3"
    >>>
    >>> and yes, f is an atmoic vector and yes, str()'s notation
    >>> is confusing here but if it did [1:10] you would not
    >>> know it was an array.  I recall discussing this with
    >>> Martin Maechler (str's author) last century, and I've
    >>> just checked that R 2.0.0 did the same.
    >>>
    >>> The place in which one-dimensional arrays differ from
    >>> normal vectors is how names are handled: notice that my
    >>> example has dimnames not names, and ?names says
    >>>
    >>> For a one-dimensional array the 'names' attribute really
    >>> is 'dimnames[[1]]'.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for this explanation.  One could then argue that
    >> [1:10,] is somewhat better than [,1:10], but that is just polish.

yes.  And honestly I don't remember anymore why I chose the
"[,1:n]" notation.  It definitely was there already before R
came into existence, as  S  also has had one-dimensional arrays,
and I programmed the first version of str() in 1990.

    PatB> Perhaps it could be:

    PatB> [1:10(,)]

    PatB> That is weird enough that it should not lead people to
    PatB> believe that it is a matrix.  But might prompt them a
    PatB> bit in that direction.

Well, str() was always aimed a bit at experienced S (and R)
users, and I had always aimed somewhat to keep it's output
"compact".  I'm quite astonished that the OP didn't know about
1D arrays in spite of the many years he's been using R.
Would a wierd solution like the above have helped?

At the moment, I'd tend to keep it "as is" if only just for
historical reminescence, but I can be convinced to change the
current "tendency" ...

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    PatB> Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com +44 (0)20 8525
    PatB> 0696 http://www.burns-stat.com (home of "The R
    PatB> Inferno" and "A Guide for the Unwilling S User")