[Rd] Documentation suggestions for vignettes

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Jan 15 19:27:59 CET 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 12:24 , Perry de Valpine wrote:

> I am looking at the 2.8.1 source code in R-2.8.1/src/library/grid/
> inst/doc, where there is an index.html (I am not at daily syncing
> level and hope that is not an issue in this case).  In this case the
> Snw files contain the %\VignetteIndexEntry and associated commands,
> so the index.html could have been generated by the package build (I
> see the pdfs, so I assume they were generated from the Snws by
> building the package. Should be I able to access a pre-build package
> source? That is not what is in R-2.8.1.tar.gz but may be what you
> have?).
>
> To clarify: if I attempt to include a vignette by putting a pdf
> directly in inst/doc, then R CMD BUILD does copy the pdf to the built
> package but generates an index.html that says there are no vignettes,
> so R is blind to the vignette.

That statement is wrong in the first place. R doesn't care about
index.html when looking for package vignettes - it's generated for the
HTML help system only (from vignettes, really). Please read "1.4
Writing package vignettes" in R-exts manual. Vignettes are only
documents created with Sweave. Although you can add arbitrary
documents to your package, those are not considered vignettes. If you
have custom documents in inst/doc, you have to supply your own
index.html (unless the default "look in ." makes you happy), because R
creates an index file only for vignettes.

To address your original post: "Pointers from package help indices to
the installed documents are automatically created" has nothing to do
with vignettes (note that it's talking about documents, not
vignettes). However, AFAICT it's no longer true (at least 00Index.dcf
seems to be ignored), so that may need some clarification.

Cheers,
Simon