[Rd] Problem with compiling shared C/C++ library for loading into R (Linux)

Samsiddhi Bhattacharjee samsiddhi.bhattacharjee at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 09:49:25 CET 2009

   Thanks. I figured out the problem finally. The first error I
mentioned was solved by compiling
the external library blitz++ using the configure option --with-pic (or
compiler flag -fPIC). It has something to do with position indepent
code and global variables, which I frankly don't understand. Maybe
somebody can explain...

      The second one (undefined symbol: _ZSt4cerr) was because cerr is
a c++ object, and I was doing
"R CMD SHLIB" on the compiled object files, so it was linkiing using
gcc. Changing the linker to g++ (using
cpp source code during linking) works...or as suggested in a previous
post using -lstdc++ with gcc also works.

--Samsiddhi Bhattacharjee